top of page

USDA revises SNAP benefit cut to 35% for November, rather than half

Update is due to miscalculation for using available funds during federal government shutdown, agency says

A sign in a convenience store along Barlowe Road in Hyattsville, Maryland, on Oct. 28, 2025, advertises that it accepts SNAP benefits. (Ashley Murray/States Newsroom)
A sign in a convenience store along Barlowe Road in Hyattsville, Maryland, on Oct. 28, 2025, advertises that it accepts SNAP benefits. (Ashley Murray/States Newsroom)

By Jacob Fischler

Stateline


The U.S. Department of Agriculture will reduce the largest monthly food assistance payments by about 35% in November, a smaller decrease than the department initially estimated, according to a court filing late Wednesday.


That means the maximum monthly benefit likely would be roughly two-thirds of the usual benefit flowing to recipients, rather than the half initially projected.


USDA miscalculated how to adjust benefit payments for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, or SNAP, to account for a lack of full funding during the government shutdown, a department official said in a filing to the U.S. District Court for Rhode Island. 


The formula the government initially used and sent to states Tuesday would have resulted in about a 50% cut to the maximum monthly benefits, and left some households without benefits. 


SNAP pays benefits on a sliding scale depending on the size of a household, the household’s income and other expenses such as housing. By cutting the maximum benefit by one-half, the department would have spent about $3 billion from a SNAP contingency fund instead of the full $4.65 billion in the fund, which is what the court ordered it to spend.


The error was first reported to U.S. District Chief Judge John J. McConnell Jr. by the coalition of cities and nonprofit organizations that sued to force the government to pay SNAP benefits this month. 


An analysis submitted by Sharon Parrott, a former White House budget officer who now leads the left-leaning think tank Center for Budget and Policy Priorities, showed that the table the department submitted to the court and sent to states on Tuesday would fall short of the court’s order to spend the entire contingency fund.


The groups said the department’s error was another reason the court should compel the government to transfer funds to pay out full benefits for November.


“Defendants’ approach means that only around $3 billion—out of the $4.65 billion Defendants have said is available—will be spent on SNAP benefits in November, leaving more than $1.5 billion in contingency funds unspent,” they wrote in a Wednesday brief. “Defendants opted for partial (and delayed) SNAP payments, but even then, did not manage to do that correctly.”


The department said in its filing later Wednesday that it independently discovered its miscalculation and worked to fix it before Parrott’s declaration hit the court docket.


“Defendants realized this error and worked to issue new guidance and tables as soon as it was discovered, not in response to Plaintiffs’ notice filed earlier this evening,” USDA’s brief said.


The parties are scheduled to argue before McConnell again Thursday afternoon.


• Stateline is part of States Newsroom, the nation’s largest state-focused nonprofit news organization.

Hightower.png
Hecla.ad.4.26.jpeg
Conoco.Phillips.ad.2_5.jpg
PWG_Ad.png
_Hollywood (300 x 250 px) (3).jpg

Archives

Keep Juneau Independent free for everyone.
Start a monthly membership or make a single contribution.
(Tax Deductible)

One time

Monthly

Members power our local news

$100

Other

Receive our newsletter by email

  • Facebook
  • X
  • bluesky-logo-01
  • Instagram

Donations can also be mailed to:
Juneau Independent

130 Seward St., Suite 509
Juneau, AK 99801

© 2026 by Juneau Independent | All rights reserved

 Website managed by Aedel-France Buzard

Indycover050926.png
bottom of page